Nest Cam Outdoor stands watch 24/7, rain or shine. It sends an alert when it detects activity. Lets you talk back through the Nest app. And it’s easy to install yourself. This is what an outdoor security camera should be.
Some key features:
- Don’t miss a thing with Nest Aware. Starting at $10 a month, Nest Aware gives you more intelligent alerts and up to 30 days of continuous cloud recording. And you automatically get a free trial.
- 24/7 live streaming. Nest Cam plugs in so it doesn’t run out of power.
- 24/7 continuous recording. 10- or 30-day video history saves everything, just in case.
- Create clips and timelapses. Create custom clips to download and share with friends, neighbors or the police.
- Person alerts. With a Nest Aware, Nest Cam can tell the difference between a person and a thing. So you get alerts you care about.
- Two-way audio. Hear what’s happening and let a stranger know you’re paying attention.
- Up to 1080p (1920 x 1080) at 30 frames/sec, H.264 encoding.
- Wall-mounted or sticks to a magnetic surface using a special magnetic mount.
- Works with Nest!
Some opinions from us at Qioto:
- We don’t like how the camera is powered. They mention that you just need an outlet nearby, but outlets are hard to come by high up on walls! So you will either need to take power from a nearby light fixture (but with ugly exposed cables), or pull some cable from the attic. With either case you will need a licensed electricians, which defeats the DIY purpose.
- We really like the 24/7 recording feature, and the image recognition function which can tell a person from an object.
- We especially like that it Works with Nest, which means it is part of the Nest ecosystem so you can create integrations and scenarios. An obvious one is turning on your hue light when the camera detects motion.